Saturday, September 25, 2010

Merging Energy Fields, the Art of Relationship Astrology

All professional astrologers, I believe, have an area of astrology they enjoy working with above all others.  For some it may be celebrity charts, while others deeply enjoy Astrocartography.  Perhaps the best work of one astrologer is Horary astrology, while another just loves getting a request for Birth Charts.  The best professionals can do a variety of charts and use a variety of techniques, but we all probably have one type of chart reading that just sings to us.  For me, I really enjoy relationship charts, especially romantic relationships and parent/child relationships.  I suspect it has something to do with my Moon in Libra and Neptune conjunct my Ascendant in Scorpio, the sign that rules intimacy and transformation.  Very few things in life are as transformative as intimacy with another human being.

When astrologers work on charts for any reason, "Am I in my right career?"  "What should my career be?" "What kind of person is my best match?"  "Is this person right for me?" "What is my destiny?" "Where do I belong?", we work on formulas to help answer these kinds of questions for clients.  A formula involves a look at certain energy points and houses over and above other energy points and houses.  Take money/career/material gain as a quick example.  The usual suspects to consider are the Earth signs (Taurus/Virgo/Capricorn) and the Earth houses (2nd, 6th, and 10th) and their rulers, Ancient and Modern, (Venus, Mercury, Saturn, the Midheaven, Vesta, and Ceres).  Through a reading of these energy points and energy containers (sign and house), we can construct a helpful interpretation of your particular energetic relationship with money/career/material gain.

Relationship charts are fun, and more complex, because they require interpreting two charts individually and then in relationship to one another.  When compared by overlapping the charts (by sign), the astrologer is doing a Synastry chart, which allows us to see where energy points aspect (connect with each other) and where energy points influence areas of the partner's life (my Sun "solarizes" my partners 4th House of Home and Family, for example).  When considering romance, I always begin with the Moons, which represent how each of us gives and receives love.  As ruler of the 4th House, the "deepest" house of the chart, the Moon is our most intimate and fundamental emotional self.  The question in the bar should not be "What's your sign (Sun)?" but rather "What's your Moon sign?"  A Scorpio Sun and Leo Sun could have a life long love affair if they share highly positive energy between their Moons.  Numerous other factors go into the basic formula that begins the analysis of a Synastry chart for me, including a look at the 1st House as a representative of "what you bring to a relationship" and the 7th House as a representative of "what you seek in a relationship."  The 8th House shows "the nature of intimacy" and the 2nd House reveals your "values and needs."

The formula is a guide and very flexible because so many factors have to be taken into account and they are not all equal in all charts.  Truly, a conglomeration of energy information must be assessed and ranked (in order of importance) to build the Synastry chart reading.  At a glance, I look to see any and all aspects that might be active between identical energy points (Sun to Sun, Mercury to Mercury, Venus to Venus, and so on).  Strong aspects (conjunction, square, trine, and opposition), the "tightness" of the aspect (degree of orb), and whether the aspect is approaching (building energy) or separating (waning energy) all increase or decrease the soul connection intensity.  If those exist, they generally get first mention in a reading.  If none exist, then I generally start with conjunctions among differing energy points to see the nature of the relationship (issues and focus).  With Synastry charts you quickly overwhelm "canned" programs and will want a professional astrologer to refine and personalize your reading.

Besides Synastry charts, you can also look at a relationship through a Composite chart, which combines the two individual charts using a midpoint method to come up with a chart of the "couple" as a single entity.  When the two of you are in the room together, you represent a merged field as well as two individual fields interacting.  The merged field is your Composite chart.  In my case, my partner and I, end up with an Aquarius Sun, which is something of a disadvantage for her, with a Scorpio Sun (square by sign), and a boost for me, with an Aries Sun (sextile by sign).  In terms of Life Path, the relationship favors my Sun.  Nicely and with challenges, though, for our daughter, who is an Aquarius, she gets a parental unit that has the same Sun Sign.  Our Composite Ascendant is Sagittarius, which really shifts us both because individually we are loners, but together we do tend to be more outward, expansive, and willing to "see the world."  Lately we've been talking about selling everything and getting an RV when we get later into life and just going.  I would never make that choice on my own.  Such is the impact of merged energy fields.

Other chart calculations exists to further explore relationships.  Just recently (yesterday) I discovered the Davison and Draconic charts reading the excellent blog of Marina and Jaime Darkstar.  You should read their post on Soul Mate Compatibility.  From there you can get to a sample chart reading that employs these two additional charts.  Each time I read their blog I end up finding a new astrology book or technique I need to buy and study!  Today is a great time to be alive and using astrology or getting astrology done for yourself.  Skilled practitioners abound (still, unfortunately, so do charlatans, but better professionals are increasing in number).  

The Synastry work is clearly among my personal favorites.  If you are looking for, in, or just out of a relationship and want some in depth insight, then you should definitely explore what astrology can reveal about relationship for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment