Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Book Recommendations - Astrology of the Moon by Amy Herring and Astrology and the Authentic Self by Demetra George

Amy Herring is a student of Steven Forrest and her book Astrology of the Moon reflects his Evolutionary Astrology approach.



The book focuses on two primary readings of the Moon in the chart, its placement in the birth chart and its progressed status at any given time in your life.  She is thoughtfully non-deterministic, writing about general influence and possible ways to manage the energy of your natal and/or progressed Moons.  Each section (natal Moon and progressed Moon) is broken down into two sub-sections: by Sign and by House.  Each sub-section has headings that cover the positive and negative influences.  In the by Sign section of the natal Moon chapter, the repeating headings are: Living, Loving, Losing Your Way.  While this book is a cookbook, it is one of the highest and most useful order.

Once you have read up on your natal Moon sign, get a chart cast that shows your progressed Moon and read about your current Lunar influence.  The Moon progresses through each sign at roughly 2 and 1/2 years.  If you use the Whole Sign system, like I do, then it will progress through each House and Sign at the same time.  If you use an unequal house system, most commonly Placidus, then the progressed Moon can stay in a House while moving out of a Sign or stay in a Sign while moving out of House. Herring reminds us to stay cognizant of the fact that we are always, for our entire life, defined by our natal Moon's fundamental energy even as our progressed Moon EVOLVES us.

While Herring does not talk about the Lunation Cycle, her book is an excellent companion to Demetra George's Astrology and the Authentic Self, which does lay out the Lunation Cycle.  



We are all born into a specific area of the Lunation Cycle, which is made up of the Eight Phases of the Moon cycle: New, Crescent, First Quarter, Gibbous, Full, Disseminating, Last Quarter, and Balsamic.  You determine your phase based on the location of your Natal Moon from your Natal Sun.  In my case my Moon is 178 degrees from my Sun, placing me in the very last section of the Gibbous Moon Phase. The keywords for this phase are: evaluate, analyze, and perfect (148).  Like the fixed quality of my Natal Moon (in Libra in my 12th House), I will spend my life time working on "analyzing self-expression in order to find better techniques for doing things or facilitating personal growth." (148).  Following the movement of your Progressed Sun and Progressed Moon, your pMoon will eventually "catch up with" and pass your pSun and restart your Lunation Cycle.  Movement through each phase takes almost 3 years and full cycle is completed around 30 years.

To get the full sense of your Lunar Story, begin with Herring's book and read about your Natal Moon and current Progressed Moon.  Next, get George's book and determine your Birth Lunar Phase and your Current Lunar Phase.  My Lunar Story begins with my Moon in Libra in my 12th House.  I was born near the very end of the Gibbous Phase and found it worthwhile to read about the Full Moon Phase (which is about clarifying my purpose, illuminating and fulfilling my ideals).  Currently my pMoon is in Taurus in my 7th House, which is about regaining peace and equilibrium in my one-to-one relationships.  I am also in the Balsamic Phase of my Current Lunation Cycle, which will end and begin anew in 2013.

I highly recommend both these books.

For an outstanding and much more detailed review of Demetra George's book, visit this link.

No comments:

Post a Comment